The Preacher's Complete Homiletical Commentary, Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges Commentary, College Press Bible Study Textbook Series, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, Concordant Commentary on the New Testament by A. E. Knoch, G. Campbell Morgan's Exposition on the Whole Bible, George Haydock's Catholic Bible Commentary, Introductory Lectures - Commentary by William Kelly, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Joseph Bensons Commentary on the Old and New Testaments, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible, Leslie M. Grant's Commentary on the Bible, Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible, Matthew Poole's Concise Commentary On The Bible, Philip Schaff's Popular Commentary on the NT (4 vols), Sutcliffe's Commentary on the Old and New Testaments, The Great Commentary of Cornelius Lapide, Through The Bible C2000 Serie by Chuck Smith. It is a sign of His true manhood, of His toil up to the very edge of His strength. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. _HILDA BRIGHT_ What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him? (Matthew 8:27). This tells us about the cosmic scope of Jesuss authority. CONTENTS: Jesus heals a leper, the centurion's servant and Peter's The boat which He had possibly spoken of previously (Matthew 8:18). greeting is one of peace. But, the circumstances of the storm on the sea terrified them and they thought they were going to drowneven though in their presence was the Son of Man. They awoke him with their prayers; Lord, save us, we perish. This is a prayer that will never go unanswered and which echoes through my heart, touching my deepest desires. Centurion's Servant. Behold the man, in his human nature, sleeping! Observe. [< Gk. And they went and woke him up, saying, "Lord, save us! This excited their astonishment (Mt 8:27); The men marvelled. His discovery of the cause and spring of their fears; O ye of little faith. Matthew records in Matthew 13. 3.) 25And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. Image: St. It could have carried up to 15 men. prayer, conversation and reading can all enhance and increase our knowledge (1.) Could there, indeed, have been greater love consistent with truth? The disciples are amazed at this power. Whil MATTHEWNOTE ON MATTHEW 8:1 The Authoritative Power of the Messiah: But the disciples plea Lord, save us, we are perishing! voices Matthews theology, too. Hot air can come up this valley quite suddenly and collide with the cooler air from Mount Hermon in the north of the valley, causing sudden storms on the lake. As they crossed, Matthew tells his readers that a great storm suddenly arose on the sea. Why are ye fearfultimorousye little-faithed souls? Here It is the same power that stills the noise of the sea, and the tumult of fear, Ps 65:7. Why are you so afraid? Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. [2.] They believed he could save them; they begged he would. This was the Messiah, the one everyone believed would be the Lord of all the earth. 26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? 'Lord save us, we are perishing!' Matthew remembers one thing that was said and records that. [1.] 2. Matthew 8:23. 24 Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. As a child, I had many nightmares about tornadoes. Structure. But that is a stilted bookish view and totally unrealistic. time But remember, in reporting the event the gospel writers are not working from a dictated record; rather, they are all telling what happened and what was said in their own words._ftn22 And while the precise wording is different in each gospel, none of them are incorrect. As our evangelist is giving a collection of healing incidents, the introduction of Matthew 8:18-22, disciple interviews, and even of Matthew 8:23-27, a nature miracle, needs an explanation. For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. But it should encourage us to know that even the closest disciples of Jesus were not much different at times. What is there really to fear? The two narratives that follow are brought together in all three 23 And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the politics Bible They wake Jesus, hoping that He will do something about the storm and save them. out his material haphazardly. Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary 8:23-27 It is a comfort to those who go down to the sea in ships, and are often in perils there, to reflect that they have a Saviour to trust in and pray to, The disciples fear and panic is contrasted with Jesus sleeping on the boat. It is a comfort to those who go down to the sea in ships, and are often in perils there, to reflect that they have a Saviour to trust in, and pray to, who knows what it is to be at sea, and to be in storms there. Jesus Calms the Storm. By taking care of the troubling circumstances of life Jesus was able to take away their fears and build their faith in Him. Somewhere away from those navigating the vessel (note the word came in Matthew 8:25)somewhere, St. Mark says, as would be natural in such a storm (see above), in the hinder part of the vessel, with His head on a pillowHe was buried in sleep To us this is an affecting evidence of the true humanity of the Master, and of the serious effects of His many labours at times upon it. While Jesus sleeps, a violent storm rages and the disciples are fearing for their lives. Have there been occasions in my own life when I invoked the Lords help and he restored peace and calm to my troubled waters? A windstorm arose on the sea, so great that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. They said among themselves What kind of man is this that even the wind and the sea obey Him? There arose a very great storm, Mt 8:24. Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a dead calm. It is the basic cry to the Lord for help by a needy people. The story as told in Mark is the lectionarys gospel reading for the fourth Sunday after Pentecost year B (that is, in a couple of weeks). people, they would understand and appreciate and love him more. An agitated appeal.The occasion of this was a great tempesta sort of convulsion (a ) in that sea. For He is not only their teacher: He See. Observe how lovingly our Lord meets an imperfect faith. 24 Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus demonstrates that he has access to that same power, which hints at his divinity. This sea, or better lake, is in the north of the land of Israel; it is the only fresh water lake in the land, and so a great place for fishing. (1.) 25 The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, Lord, save us! Jesus was sleepin _aor. Behold the Is Divorce And Remarriage After Abuse, Neglect, Financial, Or Emotional Issues Okay. of His righteousness; the sublimest code of morals ever proclaimed on Jesus sleep is significant to consider for a moment. One day in teaching class I was instructing students about the form of their homework assignment. Christian living He had not rebuked their weak faith simply to point out their weakness; He had rebuked their faith in order to show a weakness that He was now about to resolve. Jesus then decides to take His ministry to the eastern shore of the Sea of Galilee to the Greco-Roman province called the Decapolis. I. When He did, the wind, the waves, the sea, everything became perfectly calm. [So I could not help thinking of a tsunami.] Bible study Some scholars try to analyze the stories to determine which of these things the disciples really said, and how the report got muddled by one or more of the gospel writers. And if we can go into the next story, the disciples question about who this one is will be contrasted with the demons who knew exactly who He is. 26 He replied, You of little faith! Because people are perishing in spiritual chaos. I myself was ready to take a group out on the lake in a boat but we had to cancel because there were fifteen foot waves on the other side. Christ and his disciples no sooner put forth to sea, The disciples faith in forsaking all and following Christ, was great faith, but in this present act their faith was week, through the prevalency of their fear. He chose to go by water. 65:5-7; 89:9; 107:23-32. Very effectual were its first consequences. Many that have true faith are weak in it, and it does but little. Choose the speed the daily prayer fades between stages. Christ, by commanding the seas, showed himself to be the same that made the world, when, at his rebuke, the waters fled (Ps 104:7-8), as now, at his rebuke, they fell. you, a great upheaval arose on the sea, so that the boat was hidden by Let the sinners in Zion be afraid, let heathen mariners tremble in a storm, but you shall not be so. commonly used for fishing on the lake. 2. 3. ( Matthew 8:23-27 KJV) William Burkitt New Testament Observe here, 1. The effect of Jesus powerful command was to calm the storm on the sea, but also to calm their fears. On the part of the disciples there was an agitated appeal. of life. Save us is the language of faith; we perish is that of fear. 4:38. Jesus calmed the storm to encourage their faith (v. 26). Uniform Series When I was four, a tornado went through our subdivision. Sunday school The faith which Christs disciples had in His Godhead was little in comparison of what they had ground for. This is the short episode in Matthews gospel where Jesus stills the storm. [Some questions on the text are here.] It will indicate that Jesus did the miracle not only to authenticate His claims, but also to build their faith. Lord, save us! ENTERED INTO A CHAPTER 8 love From a Sea Carest Thou not that we perish? Almost Have you no feeling at all for our need? Great indeed must have been the tempest within them to give such utterance to such thoughts. eveningthere were other boats with Hima great storm It was. Mostly our knowledge will grow with our love of him, as both grow And so their question is What kind of man is this? It too is a rhetorical question, not designed to be answered, but to express the idea that there is no one like this. Even something like the story of the battle of Deborah against Sisera (Judg. Am I of little or of great faith? He was likely tired from the long day of preaching, dealing with the crowds, healing, and casting out demons. Think about it. In Matthews gospel, the story comes near the beginning of Jesuss ministry: after calling some not all of the disciples, and then after the Sermon on the Mount, and then after some dramatic healings of a man with leprosy, of a centurions servant, and of Peters mother-in-law. But that does not make much sense, for these seasoned sailors thought they were going to drown right up to the moment that Jesus calmed the storm. CHAPTER 8 He would be accepted by the nations, as is the case in the book of And when Jesus got into the boat, his disciples followed him. The first thing that Jesus did in response to their request was to rebuke their weak faith: O you of little faith, why are you afraid? They were right to ask Jesus to save them--and their request shows that they had faith that He could save them. The Healing of the The story can also be looked at from the perspective of contrasts. Jesuss tranquility in the boat is, perhaps, a demonstration of what it means not to worry or be anxious about how things are going to turn out. It hearkens back to what He told them recently in the Sermon on the Mount. Now observe here. suffered; I marvel at the calm with which they could respond. What manner of man is this? etc.David Dickson. Their petition is, Lord, save us. There was now as great a stillness in the hearts of those who looked on as there was in the elements round about them. Matthew 8:23-27. When he was entered into the ship Being, as is said above, about to cross the lake; his disciples followed him Even as many as were desirous of learning of him, and could get a passage, either in that vessel or any others that were near. (2.) Matthew 5:1, JESUS CALMS THE STORM MATTHEW 8:23-27; MARK 4:35-41; LUKE 8:22-25; A fishing boat from the first century A.D. that was discovered on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee in 1986 was 27 feet long and 7.5 feet wide. A storm arose while the disciples were following their Master. You would discover them right away when you read the account in the three synoptic1_ftn1 gospels: Matthew 8:23-27 of course; Mark 4:37-41; and Luke 8:23-25. I ask God for the grace to face death peacefully, whether it be close at hand or far in the future. 1. We do not follow a simple itinerant preacher from Galilee; we follow Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God. In prayer When Jesus calmed the storm, then, He was demonstrating that He has the power of heaven at His command. But as is often the case in the gospels, words like this are retained in the Christian community with added meaning. 1. On the part of the Saviour a gracious response. Masters orders. We might imagine Mom or Dad saying cut it out! to the kids bickering in the back seat of the car. always used. . . And often He answers our prayers in ways that we can only marvel, and say, What manner of man is this?. But there are a couple of apparent difficulties that you would have to deal with in studying this passage. I have always been frightened by tornadoes. After this brief chastisement, Jesus, then got up and rebuked the winds and the sea. (Matthew 8:23-27) By Ted Schroder, www.tedschroder.com January 8, 2017 "Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. 23. St. Marks language (Mark 4:38) puts this very bluntly indeed. over the wind and the waves. examples of its benefits. And while some of those miracles seem to be less spectacular than others, they all reveal to us the nature of the Son of God who does not have the limitations we now have. In different We might read verse 25 on two levels: in the plain context of the story, the disciples are crying out for Jesus to do something. The Winds and the Waves Obey His Will (Matthew 8:23-27) Storms terrify many people. Matthew Henrys Commentary Ver. But Jesus was sleeping. In a way, their request for Him to save them already had answered who this one was. It is helpful also to get all the facts straight in the event before looking at the point of the story in the passage. Others pretended to cure diseases, but he only undertook to command the winds. But God is portrayed as mightier than the raging seas (Ps. The disciples application made to him; they awake him with a sad outcry Lord, save us: we perish. Church. (1-2) The leper makes his request of Jesus. SHIP. Christ could have prevented this storm, and have ordered them a pleasant passage, but that would not have been so much for his glory and the confirmation of their faith as their deliverance was: this storm was for their sakes, as Joh 11:4. 2. The fearfulness of Christs disciples in a storm, and their unbelief, the cause of it, are very displeasing to the Lord Jesus, for they reflect dishonour upon him, and create disturbance to themselves. Learn thence, That the presence of Christ itself doth not exempt his disciples and followers from trouble and danger: here is a great tempest about the disciples ears, though Christ was in their company. His presence exempteth not His disciples from trouble and danger.3. We return in this In fact, archaeologists found a first century fishing boat of this kind a few years ago. And they came to Him and woke Him, saying, Save us, Lord; we are perishing! He said to them, Why are you afraid, you men of little faith? Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm. He rebuked the winds and the sea (Matthew 8:26). history. One student asked another, What did he say? And the answer was, He said, dont write on the back. Well, if we were looking for a dictated or recorded transcript, that is not what I said. I let my look rest on the desperate situations in my present life, or that of the world, and let this cry well up from the depths of my heart. The waves it generates are literally covering up the boat. Storms in the voyage-even when sailing according to the In addition to the items mentioned above, Mark adds some more information. Jesus spoke directly to the natural order of the elements and the weather. He sleeps, but He never oversleeps, and there are no too-lates with Him. He is the author of Introducing Biblical Hebrew and Grammar, Holiness to the Lord: A Guide to the Exposition of the Book of Leviticus, Creation and Blessing: A Guide to the Study and Exposit More, Getting Spiritually Fit 1 ( Corinthians 9:24-27), Steps to Biblical Reconciliation (Luke 17:1-4; 2 Corinthians 5:15-21). The disciples found out bit by bit what kind of man this is'. This passage does not quote from the Old Testament, so we are left to make connections with the themeone who controls the elements of nature by His word. But Matthew used a word that means of little faith while Mark says do you still have no faith? Mark did not mean to imply that the disciples had no faith at all--he has already described their following Jesus. As Matthew is proving with his gospel, this man was God, the One who created the wind and the waves and all things. HEALING OF PETER'S The disciples went and woke him, saying, 'Lord, save us! Contrasts. As Matthew is proving with his gospel, this man was God, the One who created the wind and the waves and all things. The freshwater sea is only about 13 miles long and 8 miles across. together. Note, They, and they only, will be found the true disciples of Christ, that are willing to go to sea with him, to follow him into dangers and difficulties. It was the language of their fervency; they pray as men in earnest, that beg for their lives; it becomes us thus to strive and wrestle in prayer; therefore Christ slept, that he might draw out this importunity. The story comes in a series of reports about Jesus authority in various areassickness, demons, death, and sin. As that other man we meet in the Gospels, I beseech Jesus, 'Help my little faith, so weak yet so trusting'. evening-there were other little ships-a great storm of wind the waves CLOSER READING: In verse 24, the storm that happens is literally a quake the Greek word that gives us our words seismograph and seismic. And he said to them, Why are you afraid, O men of little faith?. 8:25 So [the disciples] approached and woke Him up saying, Lord save us! A vessel making for the East would be especially exposed to that wind; and the waves raised by it would naturally drive over its prow so as to cover the decks of such a boat where it had them, and fill it where it had none (Matthew 8:24; Mark 4:37). He slept at this time, to try the faith of his disciples, whether they could trust him when he seemed to slight them. There are three parts, based on the three things that were said. 23 Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Dormant power.In the first verses of this passage the resolution of Matthew 8:18 is executed in part. beat into the ship He _a ship_ Rather, THE ship or fishing-boat, i. e. the boat which Jesus And when he was entered into a boat, his disciples followed him. He also had faith in His Fathers protection even in the midst of a violent storm upon the sea. MAIN HOMILETICS OF THE PARAGRAPH. Matthew 8:23. So, taking the three gospels together we get a wonderful reflection of their fear and the chaos in the boat. he calms us too, maybe not immediately but when we really need him he is What is there lacking except in your faith? But here they were afraid. construed as sing.) In form, of course,and in effect alsothis was to them a rebuke. GADARENE DEMONIACS 8:26 And He says to them, Barely-trusting guys, why are you intimidated?. How came we ever to question His power? 8). The storm is contrasted with the calm after the miracle. you see the King amid the storms of nature. We are perishing! The word that calms the storm.Christ yields to the cry of an imperfect faith, and so strengthens it. But a rearrangement of the order of the stories by Matthew for rhetorical or theological purposes is not a problem. What assurance as well! word, and healed all that were sick:_ Then He calls them a name: oligopistoi meaning little faiths. This moniker is translated here as you men of little faith. situations they would get to know Jesus; by hearing him and watching him with Matthew 8:23-27. But He was asleep. mountain gorges, are notor Matthew 8:1. theology He can carry Himself as one asleep, to the end He may be awakened by their prayers.6. God This text Matthew 8:23-27 is not in the lectionary, but that doesnt mean this story is one of those things you wouldnt know about the Bible if all you knew were the lectionary. Were going to drown. Mark says that the disciples said, Teacher, dont you care if we drown? Luke says that they said, Master, Master, were going to drown. Now this apparent discrepancy as it is often called affords us a good opportunity to understand the synoptic gospels. The power and grace of Jesus Christ put forth for their succour: then the Lord Jesus awaked, as one refreshed, Ps 78:65. Matthew 8:24. And that is certainly true here, for without the speeches we have a storm, the disciples panic, Jesus calming the storm, and the disciples amazement. That strange blending of opposites is often repeated by us. The nature of their appeal, when they came to make it, was in full accord with such feelings. And, behold, there came a leper and This short sentence is overcharged with pronouns And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed A BOAT. v. 23. We might remember Matthew emphasizes the way Jesus fulfills scriptural prophecies, and structures the narrative around long teaching passages interspersed with narrative sections, which especially emphasize Jesuss authority. 23 Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Kyrie soson, Lord, save, became a part of the liturgical language of the church. That idea was important in the Bible, for the seas were always the symbol of chaos. 1. A faith which does not wholly suppress fear may still be most real; and the highest faith has ever the consciousness that unless Christ help, and that speedily, we perish. Their prayer has life in it, Lord, save us, we perish. Were going to drown! _And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed One would have expected, that having Christ with them, they should have had a very favourable gale, but it is quite otherwise; for Christ would show that they who are passing with him over the ocean of this world to the other side, must expect storms by the way.
Matt Blevins Storage Wars: Texas, Articles M